about the tween book blog

This is the place to be for reviews of Tween and YA books! And, best of all, it is written by a 13-year-old who knows the perspective of tweens and teens!

Wednesday 17 May 2017

Moonlocket

Moonlocket by Peter Bunzl

If you haven't already read the first in the series, you can find the review for Cogheart here

Lily and Robert are back with a new adventure! The noturious escape artist Jack Door has broken out of jail! On a visit to Roberts old house they find him staying there but he escapes. What they also find is a cresent moon locket with a map on the back. Will this lead Robert towards his mother, and what does Jack Door have to do with it?

Normally, the sequel to a great book is generally never quite as good. But Moonlocket was as good, maybe even better! I loved the adventure, the thrill and at times the terror. You never knew what was going to happen next. It was full of suprises. To be honest most of the best bits were the same as the last book. I loved the idea of mechanimals. I loved airships. I loved the focus on the Cogheart. And there was also new good things, such as the search for Roberts family (And family in general). I think my favourite character was Tolly, a street urchin. He was such a clever idea for a character. Someone who is unlickely to be of any assistance, yet becomes a main character by the end. Also, Tolly said some really insightful things. There was also a theme of independence. Lilys dad thinks that she is vunerable due to the Cogheart, and how people treat hybrids. But Lily actually goes against him, deciding to prove that she CAN do what she wants. I liked this theme, even if it is a common one in YA and childrens literature.

The one thing that I didn't like was the character of Finlo. He is Jack doors son. I didn't feel hat he was necessary, and I could do was feel sorry for him, even at the end. Also, when the climax was at its highest point, everything had just been revealed, and then there was a bit between Finlo and Jack that I thought was very unnecassary.

I am going to give it a 10/10
and and age rating of 10+

Image result for moon locket peter bunzl

No comments:

Post a Comment