about the tween book blog

This is the place to be for reviews of Tween and YA books! And, best of all, it is written by a 13-year-old who knows the perspective of tweens and teens!

Friday 10 March 2017

A Tragic Kind of Wonderful

A Tragic Kind of Wonderful by Eric Lindstrom
Mel has two friends, a crazy aunt, no brother and bipolar disorder. When she first got sick she lost all her friends. But when Annie, one of Mel's old friends drops a box off at her house before moving away unexpectedly, things change...
I am going to start at the cover. I know that you aren't meant to judge a book by it's cover, but... The cover for the version I read was pink, which doesn't normally go down that well with me, but there was also a lot of other techniques that the publisher used to make the cover great. You'll see when I put up a picture. Now, onto the actual writing. I thought it was great. I think that my favourite thing was the hamster, hummingbird, hammerhead, hanniganimal. I think that thinking up something like that for a book takes a lot of skill. I don't know if Lindstrom has had Bipolar Disorder, but I have to congratulate him either way, for writing about personal issues (if he has/ had it), or just making you think that he has had it. The next good thing was that you could tell if Mel was having a manic episode or was depressed. When she was manic, she spoke in sentences that could reach an entire paragraph in length, and most of it was just random. When she was in a depressed phase, the sentences were a lot shorter, and there was a feeling of doom and gloom. My one piece of criticism was the thing about Mel's name. I didn't feel that it was necessary, or added anything to the book. But apart from that it was great.
I am going to give it a 9/10
And an age rating of 12+



No comments:

Post a Comment